10 Ways Critical Thinking Plays an Important Role in Education
“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks” – Christopher Hitchens
If you are a student friendly teacher, you could have experienced at least one student with his/her ideas different from the rest. It’s astonishing and interesting to come across such students. What makes them different from others?
It’s the ability of the child to think about anything and everything. An ability of critical thinking
Critical thinking should be encouraged. Traditional concepts of learning are loosing its charm. Text based passive learning is giving way to active thinking and learning process. The vital goal of education is to promote critical thinking in students, not making them reflect like a parrot. EYFS and KHDA are new terms that aim at improving the quality in education.
It’s really important to instil the ability of critical thinking in children through education. Early Years Foundation Stage is providing better guidance for children at a very tender age, they believe in individual abilities of children. There are Government bodies such as the KHDA in Dubai who takes the responsibility of the growth and quality of private education institutions.
As far as 21st century learning is concerned, critical thinking is an important factor. Spoon-feeding system in education has changed for better. It’s an era of better education.
10 out of the many uses of critical thinking:
We are provided with brains but we create our mind. The best mind is the one that thinks rather than the ones that accepts. Whenever we are dealing with humans we are dealing with their thoughts as well. By helping students to cultivate critical thinking, we are sowing the seeds of a generation with a better thinking capability that can help society.
- Critical thinking helps to cultivate higher-order thinking skill. Think beyond the print. Mostly children are fed the printed books which deny any further development of critical thinking.
“There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so”. William Shakespeare
- Rash decision making is a problem that the children should be kept away from. Stop and think before taking any action. Critical thinking ensures better thinking capacity in children which helps students think before any act.
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever." - CHINESE PROVERB
- Things are more sensible when we think. Make more sense with thinking. Rather than just jumping into conclusions, think twice about the displayed conclusion. Make decesions of your own.
“Critical thinking is thinking about your thinking while you're thinking in order to make your thinking better.” ― Richard W. Paul
- Ideas must be clear. Complicated ideas can create confusion. Express your ideas clearly without doubt.
“No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.”- Robin Williams
- There can be more than one answer for a question. Explore alternatives with critical thinking.
“There is more than one way of getting to 2 besides 1+1.”
- Making better judgement. Evaluate and analyse before concluding to a judgement. Better decision making from a small age can benefit an individual in life. Future is more secure with better decisions.
“Nothing strengthens the judgment and quickens the conscience like individual responsibility.” - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
- Active thinking rather than passive acceptance of facts make children smart. With critical thinking, children tend to ask vital questions resulting in better judgement
“The one real goal of education is to leave a person asking questions." - MAX BEERHOHM
- Critical thinking promotes academic improvement, effective communication with people and finding solution for complex problems.
“I think it's really important to design things with a kind of personality”- Marc Newson
- Responsibility arises with better thinking. Being responsible for ones own thoughts and conclusion can make students better in learning as well as in life.
“Responsibility to yourself means refusing to let others do your thinking, talking, and naming for you; it means learning to respect and use your own brains and instincts; hence, grappling with hard work.” ― Adrienne Rich
- Critical thinking explores possibilities. Mugging up facts won’t make any person wise but thinking does.
“All things are possible until they are proven impossible.” ― Pearl S. BuckGD Star Rating
loading...GD Star Rating
loading...10 Ways Critical Thinking Plays an Important Role in EducationRated 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 rating
More from my site