Kailash Satyarthi: Importance of Passing the Child Labour (Amendment) Bill
Chottu is 12 but still he is a dreamer, not about a colourful future but about the meal he shall receive after the tiring all day work. His dreams are limited. Starving for food is his worst nightmare. There are many more like Chottu, what are we doing for them?
No doubt, children are innocent and tender. They need care for sure. We cannot forget our colourful childhood because of the memories associated with it, but there are children living a black and white life for the sake of their appetite. They are devoid from the real colours of childhood. All they know is the smell of sweat that can make them earn money or food. We should gift them a future no matter where the child belongs.
“Child slavery is a crime against humanity. Humanity itself is at stake here." -Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi
After the adoption of the constitution of India in 1950, the safeguard of children and their protection from exploitation were guaranteed. However after 65 years, the problem still prevails. According to the 2011 census, India has over four million child labours (age group between 5-14 yrs). Kailash Satyarthi believes in the importance of passing the Child Labour (Amendment) Bill. There are six key demands put forward by the Mr. Satyarthi.
6 key amends suggested by Kailash Satyarthi:
- All forms of child labour should be prohibited, up to the age of 14
- Up to the age of 18, no child should be employed in the worst forms of child labour. Such as begging and prostitution.
- Increase in fine amount and period of imprisonment
- Enforcement agency employees should also be held responsible if children are found working in their jurisdiction
- Child labour must be made a cognisable and non-bailable offence
- Rehabilitation should be made an integral part of the law
If strengthening our constitution can make a difference to the lives of many, what are we waiting for? Let’s join hands for our children. Let them grow with education not exploitation.
More from my site