What is E-learning and how it’s Important to our Education System?
“E-Learning – education conveyed via electronic means”
There may be other insignificantly different definitions, but this could be considered succinct.
E-Learning is so ubiquitous and vast that it’s difficult to articulate a concise outline that truly does the word justice.
What exactly is the spur in created by e-learning and its various aspects. Let us briefly witness each facet of the trend.
Concept of e-learning
eLearning is imparting and facilitating knowledge on media, electronic devices like that on the Internet, CD-ROMs, and DVDs, streaming media etc.
It has drifted the method of learning imparted to the students. Unlike conventional chalk and board style of schooling, eLearning makes giving and receiving simpler, prolific, and productive. Shortly, it is the method of teaching purely through technology.
The word e-learning is used synonymously with virtual knowledge, online education, computer-based training, web-based knowledge, and networked education. Whatever may be the explanation of e-learning, it is revamping the style traditional academia teaches and the learners grasp.
Purpose of e-learning
The idea of e-learning is to empower learners to absorb personal accomplishment, basic schooling or to obtain a degree certificate, without actually attending the school or university or any other academic institute.
Another idea is to apply E-learning to all levels of schooling to ensure students grasp the lessons adequately.
Psychologists believe that audio-visual method of teaching creates a disciplined learning environment and fosters effective student engagement in the class.
The next benefit of learning online or on electronic media assures you are in sync with advanced learners. Also, digital and self-initiated learning can be acquired at the desired locations. One need not wander in search of learning.
eLearning is versatile and ample to suit all learning methods.
Types of e-learning
e-Learning eventuates in many forms and at times is the blend of the following:
· Completely online – no vis-a-vis meetings
· Mixed Learning – A blend of online and direct communication
· Synchronous- the communication between the provider and receiver happen directly as in chat rooms, or video-audio conferencing.
· Asynchronous- The information is passed through forums, emails, wikis etc
· Web-based learning
· Audio and Visuals
Advantages of e-learning in education
The online learning style is best suited for all. This is a revolution in learning genre. The information, now, can be accessed, talked, absorbed and shared anywhere. E-Learning has made education easy for everyone including office-goers, housewives etc without compromising much.
- E-Learning is effective and powerful. It makes information easy to grasp and absorb. It imparts enhanced ability to learn and implement among the learners. The Audio-Visuals help in remembering knowledge for a longer time.
- E-Learning let you be in sync with modern learners. This keeps you updated with the current trends.
- Traditional classrooms, have mischievous elements to disturb the class. Whereas, eLearning provides expeditious delivery of lessons. There is no procrastinator in eLearning. It is a quick way of learning!
- Lectures can be taken at any time and any number of times. In traditional classes, revisions are not that easy. Unlike traditional learning, if you have missed any lesson, you can always have it online.
- E-Learning allows teachers a higher degree of coverage to deliver the content regularly. This ensures consistency in learning.
- E-Learning is cost-effective as this method quick and easy. Long training period, infrastructure, stationary, travel expense etc is reduced.
- It is a benefactor to those who feel nervous and disconnected in groups. It helps you learn without having to give up the comforts of the environment you are at ease with.
How e-learning helps students/benefits of eLearning to student
E-Learning has been an invaluable support for learners around the world. Earlier the access to knowledge was not accessible to all. Students with economic constraints, geographical boundaries or physical disabilities had scarce opportunities in the academic province. The same now hold access to consistent education.
The modern learning method fetches you a refreshed version of knowledge accessible at convenience and shared with millions of people from different boroughs. It’s an ecstatic learning period for scholars far and wide. eLearning also offer greater collaboration and global opportunities to the learners.
The method compliments the requisites of the current era where in everyone is racing against time to fetch their share of affluence.
Due to the all-inclusive set of advantages, it offers to the learners, eLearning has matured into popular and apprehended way amongst scholars all around the world.
The process undoubtedly has its limitations. For those with hard economic background and lack of accessibility to technology it is definitely a long shot to exploit its luxury to the fullest. The unprivileged population of developing countries are saddled with this phase of digital divide.
But with an attempt to make internet more affordable and far reaching, it is possible to bridge the gap between low income community and tech access to dissipate the plight of economic divide.
E-learning with its burgeoning influence in the educational galaxy will open portals to unexplored pathways giving rise to new opportunities.