Being mentally active is equally important as being physically active for a kid’s well being and riddles are one of the funniest ways of exercising their brains.
Mathematics is one of the nightmare subjects for most of the kids.
Approaching the subject with some learn with fun strategies help teachers and parents to improve their understanding and enhance their interest in learning.
math riddles for kids are one of the smartest ways of approaching the subject with fun.
By applying some considerable concentration and having a clear thinking and logical reasoning, kids can crack them with ease.
1. Add the number to the number itself and then multiply by 4. Again divide the number by 8 and you will get the same number once more. Which is that number?
Answer: Any number
2. At the time of shipping, Tom can place 10 small boxes or 8 large boxes into a carton. A total of 96 boxes were sent in one shipment. The number of small boxes was less than large boxes. What is the total number of cartons he shipped?
Answer: 11 cartons
4 small boxes (4*10 = 40 boxes)
7 large boxes (7*8 = 56 boxes)
So 96 boxes and 11 total cartons
3. X is an odd number. Take an alphabet away from X and it becomes even. Which is that number?
Answer: Seven (Seven-S=Even)
4. You are given 3 positive numbers. You can add these numbers and multiply them together. The result you get will be the same. Which are the numbers?
Answer: 1, 2 and 3
5. I have a barrel of wine and your job is to measure out one gallon from it. I can give you a five-gallon container and three-gallon container? How can you help me?
Answer: First of all fill up the 3 gallon container with wine. After that you have to transfer the same to the 5 gallon container. Then fill up the 3 gallon container again and transfer the wine to the 5 gallon container until it is full. The left over in the 3-gallon container is 1 gallon of wine.
6. Tom was asked to paint the number plates on 100 apartments which means he will have to paint numbers 1 through 100. Can you figure out the number of times he will have to paint the number 8?
Answer: 20 times. (8, 18, 28, 38, 48, 58, 68, 78, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 98)
7. What is the maximum possible number of times you can subtract number 5 from number 25?
Answer: Only once. This is because when you subtract 5 from 25 for the first time, it becomes number 20, then 15 and so on.
8. William has a toaster with 2 slots. So he can toast one side each of 2 breads simultaneously which takes 1 minute. He wanted to make 3 pieces of toast for his breakfast. What is the minimum time required to do so?
Answer: 3 minutes! First of all, he can put two pieces of bread in the toaster. After 1 minute, one side each of the 2 breads get toasted. He can then flip a side of bread and take the other one out. And he can place the 3rd piece of bread into the free space of the toaster. After the second minute, he can take the completely toasted bread out and flip the other one. Then place the half toasted bread into the free space to toast the fresh side. After 3 minutes, all 3 pieces of breads gets toasted.
9. I am a three digit number. My second digit is 4 times bigger than the third digit. My first digit is 3 less than my second digit. Who am I?
10. You are given a telephone and asked to multiply all the numbers on the device’s number pad. What will be the answer?
Answer: zero (The number pad contains number 0. When you multiply any number by zero, the answer will be zero)
11. Raj has 2 books. One of the books is faced upside-down and the second book is rotated which makes the top of the book facing Raj. Then what will be the total sum of the 1st pages in each of these books?
Answer: 2. Regardless of how the books are oriented, the first page of every book is page number 1. So 1 + 1 = 2!
12. I have a pound of feathers and a pound of iron? Can you please tell me which one weighs more?
Answer: Both of them would be of same weight. A pound remains a pound despite the type of object.
13. Mary bought a round cake for her kid’s birthday and saw 6 unexpected guests at house. So she has to cut the cake into 8 pieces. As her kid was 3 years old, they insisted on making 3 cuts on the cake during the celebration. How can she make this possible?
Answer: Consider a middle point of the cake in its vertical position. Make a cut horizontally till it makes a round to reach the same point again. This makes the cake into exactly half (two round cakes as if placed in a stack). Second cut has to be made in a vertical fashion that passes through the two round cakes. This makes it 4 pieces of cakes. Now make a horizontal cut in the similar fashion that cut these 4 pieces into half again which makes it a total of 8 pieces.
14. A mobile phone and its case cost Rs. 110 in total. The price of the mobile phone is Rs.100 more than its case. What is the price of the mobile phone?
Answer: Rs.105 (not Rs.110)
15. 100 coins fell down and got scattered inside a dark place. 90 of the coins fell with heads facing up and the rest 10 coins fell with tails up. You are asked to sort out these coins into 2 piles. However, each pile should have the same count of tails up coins. How is it possible?
Answer: First of all the piles need not be of the same size. I can make 2 piles, one with 90 coins and the other with 10 coins. Now I just flip all of the 10 coins on the pile. So the piles will have the same count of tails.
16. Robin tosses a coin 10 times and it landed in the heads up position all ten times. So what are the possible chances for him to toss it up again and gets landed in heads up position?
Answer: He has a 50 percent chance to toss the coin and see the heads up position. This is because the coin toss is not dependent on the first 10 tosses.
17. There are 100 pairs of dogs in a zoo. Two pairs of babies are born for every dog. Unfortunately, 23 of the dogs have not survived. How many dogs would be left in total?
Answer: 977 dogs (100 x 2 = 200; 200 + 800 = 1000; 1000 – 23 = 977)
18. If you multiply me by any other number, the answer will always remain the same. Who am I?
19. The price of a duck is Rs. 9, a spider costs Rs. 36 and a bee was priced Rs. 27. By taking into account this information, what will be the price of a cat?
Answer: Rs.18 (Rs. 4.50 per leg)
20. It takes 12 men 12 hours to construct a wall. Then how long will it take for 6 men to complete the same wall?
Answer: No time! There is no need of constructing it again as the job is already done.
21. There are 6 black socks, 8 brown socks, 4 blue socks, and 2 red socks in my sock drawer. Can you figure out the minimum number of socks to be pulled out in order to get a matching pair for sure?
Answer: At least 5
22. 1/2 of 2/3 of 3/4 of 4/5 of 5/6 of 6/7 of 7/8 of 8/9 of 9/10 of 10,000. Can you solve this in a single step?
Answer: 1000! 1/10 of 10,000 give 1000. (Everything gets cancel out if you multiply all of these fractions and the remaining will be 1/10)
23. A man is twice as old as his little sister. He is also half as old as their dad. Over a period of 50 years, the age of the sister will become half of their dad’s age. What is the age of the man now?
Answer: He is 50 years old.
24. Tom and Peter live in different parts of city but studies in the same high school. Tom left for school 10 minutes before Peter started and they happened to meet at a park. At the time of their meeting, who was closer to the school?
Answer: They are both at the same distance from school as they met in the same place.
25. You are given a sequence: 1 11 21 1211 111221 312211. Can you figure out the next number in this sequence?
Answer: 13112221 (Each of the number in the sequence is the description of the previous number. If you start with 1, the 2nd number is 11 (one 1), third number is 21 (two 1’s), fourth number is 1211 (one 2, one 1) and so on.
26. Seven boys met each other in a party. Each of them shakes hands only once with each of the other boys. What is the total number of handshakes that took place?
Answer: Twenty one
27. Amir has 2 buckets with him. The first bucket had only red marbles and the other one had only brown marbles. The 2 of these buckets has equal number of marbles. What type of arrangement can he make to increase the possibility of grabbing a red marble from each of the buckets?
Answer: Keep only a single red marble in one bucket and the remaining red and brown marbles in the other bucket. This increases his chances of grabbing a red marble from each of the bucket (75% approx) which is not possible with any other arrangement.
28. Ravi has two kids. If the elder kid is a boy, then what is the possibility that his other kid is also a boy?
Answer: 50 percent
29. A group of students were standing in the blazing sun facing due west on a march past event. The leader shouted at them: Right turn! About turn! Left turn! At the end of these commands, in which direction is the students facing now?
Answer: East. They will turn 90 degrees in a right turn, and they turn180 degrees in an about turn, and finally they turn 90 degrees in a left turn. Therefore, the students are now facing east.
30. Tom was on the way to KLCC Park. He met a guy with 7 wives and each of them came with 7 sacks. All these sacks contain 7 cats and each of these 7 cats had 7 kits. So in total, how many were going to KLCC Park?
Answer: 1. Only Tom was going to KLCC Park.
31. There are a certain number of books on my bookshelf. I took a book which is 6th from the right and 4th from the left. Can you find out the number of books on my shelf?
Answer: 9 ((6+4)-1. Or you just arrange a set of 10 books and see how it works)
32. A grandfather, two fathers and two sons drove to park together. Each of them bought one entry ticket each. How many tickets have they bought in total?
Answer: 3 (there were only 3 people as the father is also a son and grandfather is also a father)
33. Two aeroplanes started the voyage. One flight is flying from London to KL at a speed of 400 MPH. The other flight is flying from KL to London at a speed of 600 MPH. Both these flights met at a point. Which of these flights will be closer to KL?
Answer: Both these flights will be at the same distance from KL when they meet.
34. 5+5+5=550. You can draw just a single straight line to make this equation true. How is it possible?
Answer: You can draw a straight line on the first plus sign. This makes it number 4. Now the equation looks like 545+5=550 which is true. Or you can simply draw a cross line on the equal symbol to make it “not equal to”.
35. Tom weighs half as much as Peter and Jerry weigh 3 times the weight of Tom. Their total weight is 720 pounds. Can you figure out the individual weights of each man?
Answer: Peter weighs twice the weight of Tom, and Jerry weighs three times of the same. So you can divide their total weight by 6 to get Tom’s weight
X + 2x + 3x = 720
By dividing 720 by 6, we can understand that Tom weighs 120 Pounds. Considering this value, Peter weighs 240 Pounds and Jerry weighs 360 Pounds.
36. Mary has 7 daughters and each of them has a brother. Can you figure out the total number of kids Mary have?
Answer: 8 kids because the sisters have just one brother in common.
37. There is an empty basket that is one foot in diameter. Can you tell the total number of eggs that you can put in this empty basket?
Answer: Only One Egg! Once you put an egg into the basket, it doesn’t remain empty anymore.
38. When my dad was 31 years old, I was just 8 years. Now his age is twice as old as my age. What is my present age?
Answer: When you calculate the difference between the ages, you can see that it is 23 years. So you must be 23 years old now.
39. There is a golf club that is formed for men only. The club comprises a total of 600. 5% of the total men in the club have one tattoo. By taking into account the other 95% members, half of them have two tattoos and the remaining men have no tattoos. What is the total number of tattoos that you can see in the club?
Answer: 600. According to the information 5% or 30 of them are having one tattoo. Among the other 95% or 570 men, half of them have two tattoos and the rest half have none. This is equivalent to all of them having a tattoo.
40. 27 hens were marching towards the farm. 5 of them lost their way, 13 hens returned, and 9 hens finally reached the farm. What happened to the remaining hens?
Answer: None of the hens are remaining now! (27-5= 22; 22-13= 9, 9-9=0)
41. 1=3, 2=3, 3=5, 4=4, 5=4, 6=3, 7=5, 8=5, 9=4, 10=3, 11=? 12=? Can you complete the sequence?
Answer: 6! The numbers indicate the number of letters in the spelling of the corresponding number.
42. X is a three digit number. The tens digit is 5 more than the ones digit. The hundreds digit is 8 less than the tens digit. What is X?
Answer: Number 194.
43. 100 girls were attending a party. 85 of them had a red bag, 75 of them have worn brown shoes, 60 of them came with an umbrella and 90 girls wore a ring. How many girls have had all these four items?
Divide by 3. All the girls had three items. The remainder indicates the number of girls with 4 items.
44. When you add eight 8’s, the result you get will be number 1,000. How is it possible? You are permitted to use only addition to solve the problem.
Answer: 888 + 88 + 8 + 8 + 8 = 1,000
45. Thomas saw some cigarette butts on the ground on his way home. He thought to make cigarettes with these buds and 4 butts makes one cigarette. There were 16 cigarette butts on the ground. What is the maximum possible number of cigarettes he can make out of them?
Answer: 5. First he can make 4 cigarettes with those 16 butts. When he smokes those 4 cigarettes, he will get 4 more butts and he can make one more cigarette with it.
46. Ravi had two ropes with him and both these ropes need exactly 1 hour in order to get burnt from 1 end to the other end. There is no option to cut the rope. So what is the possibility that he can burn the 2 ropes in just 45 minutes?solve this
Answer: Light up both sides of the first rope with fire so that it starts burning from both ends and fire up the second rope on one side only. In half an hour, the first rope will get completely burnt and the second rope will be burnt only half. At this particular time, you have to light up the second rope from the other side. So rest of the rope gets burnt in 15 minutes. This makes it a total of 45 minutes for two ropes to burn entirely.
47. Suppose 1+9+8=1, then what can be 2+8+9?
Answer: 10! (Consider the first letter of the spelling of each digit, One+Nine+Eight= ONE, similarly Two+Eight+Nine= TEN)
48. Two hens can lay two eggs in two minutes. If this is the maximum speed possible, what is the total number of hen needed to get 500 eggs in 500 minutes?
Answer: 2 hens
49. Sam was born on January 1st, 23 B.C. in KL town and passed away on January 2nd, 23 A.D. What was his age when he died?
Answer: 45 years old! There are 23 years in both periods in actual calculation but there is no 0 year. So you can add up these periods and subtract 1 year. That means 23 + 23 – 1 = 45 years old.
50. Peter was asked how old he was. His reply was like this “In a period of 2 years my age will be twice my age when you asked this five years ago” How old is he?
Answer: Let Peter’s age be X Years
These math riddles for kids not only challenge the lateral thinking of your kids but also test their calculation and logic skills.
These math riddles for kids are a complete package of education and unlimited fun that looks simple too.
Taking this strategy for the subject is always interesting that gives a great workout for brain and kids would think out of the box to come up with creative solutions.
Riddles are never meant to be complex but require kids to have an open mind and think out a little by keeping aside the basic knowledge in the subject.
Some of these math riddles for kids may seem frustrating or complex on the first look but the answers of these riddles teaches you how a little creative thinking can give you easy solutions.
Also Read : Coding for Kids: Making Them Future Ready
Geography Quiz For Kids (107 Questions and Answers)Jun 19, 2019
Top 25 Math Websites For Teachers and StudentsMar 20, 2019
68 Science Quiz For Kids Of Grades I To XFeb 13, 2019
General Knowledge For Kids (105 Questions and Answers)Feb 11, 2019
15 Fun Riddles Help in Solving Math ProblemsDec 26, 2017
Sign Up and Recieve the Latest News